IRC Bot list (cross posting)

Bill Nash billn at billn.net
Wed Feb 9 18:29:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

> out botnet lists to NANOG, fine by me. I never said I can
> stop them. I just said I didn't want them as a subscriber.
>
> I understand that you don't know where these existing
> lists are. Look hard. If you suddenly care about bots
> enough in the last 24 hours to spend all night writing
> a post about me, you should be able to expend the same
> energy and find a botnet list to enjoy.

My point is simple. There's more people on this list besides you and
William. This list should not run by the preference of two vocal people
who can't be bothered to skim/trim/ignore threads they aren't interested
in. This isn't exactly a high volume list. The percentage of subscribers
who actually post is a distinct minority, and from the volume of mail I
got last time you and I went around, there's a lot of smaller operators
who simply monitor the list for interesting things who may find those
kinds of discussions interesting.

This thread is already longer than it likely would have been had it simply
been recognized as uninteresting signal (but signal nonetheless) and left
alone. I'm hardly an icon of self-restraint, but worry about off-topic
when it's actually a problem, and stop discouraging people to post
entirely.

- billn