Time to check the rate limits on your mail servers

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Feb 6 04:22:53 UTC 2005

>That, on the other hand, gets you into trouble with rather stupid Spam
>filters, that only accept mails from a server, if that server is also
>MX for the senders domain.
>
>Yes, this is stupid, but that does not change the fact, that these
>setups are out there.

No, they're not.  Large ISPs, starting with AOL and Yahoo, separated
their inbound and outbound mail servers years ago.  Anyone who still
uses "mail from MX" for filtering doesn't really care if he gets mail
or not.

Note that this is a different issue from separating your public
inbound MX servers from your user-only submit servers.  I've done
that, too, and haven't had any problems other than educating the
occasional too-clever user who thinks my setup instructions must be
wrong, substitutes the MX server for the SUBMIT server, and then
complains that it doesn't work.

Regards,
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"I shook hands with Senators Dole and Inouye," said Tom, disarmingly.