Time to check the rate limits on your mail servers

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Feb 3 17:04:40 UTC 2005

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:07:10 +0100, Raymond Dijkxhoorn said:

> > The only thing I don't see is a way to remove these bots!
> > Not everyone knows how to even look at their machines for signs of these
> > bots. Heck, I know most of my guys here don't even know how these bots
> > work.
>
> For a compromised system, insert CD, reinstall!

BZZT! But thank you for playing.

Don't *RE*-install.  If you got whacked by a bot on Monday, and re-install
Sunday's configuration of software on Tuesday, all that means is that Wednesday
you'll get re-whacked.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Install *SOMETHING ELSE*.  Something less vulnerable to all this manure.

(I'll mention the *other* alternative, replacing/upgrading the user, mostly
for completeness and so we can all have a good chuckle)