live chat with other nanog'ers

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Dec 30 04:08:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 07:51:31PM -0800, Kyle Lutze wrote:

> My problem with #nanog on efnet is not that there is off topic chatter
> with people unwinding, its when you go in their to ask a question (such
> as I had forgotten what AS stood for and asked really fast) and you get
> crap answers, for example:
>
> AppleBoy` question on some keyterms used on the list, what is an AS?
> xkev      what is an AS?
> TestACL   typo for ASS
> xkev      ashkie, anal suppressor
> xkev      alk;hr
> xkev      ..  AS: anal suppressor
>
> and it basically went on like that. So, new chan, perhaps with only
> decent people in it.

Like I said, #nanog is not an appropriate place for absurdly novice
questions. The people you mention above are regular nanog attendees and
experienced network operators (actually, very experienced), and you are
not only wasting their time you are intruding on their conversation by
coming to that channel to ask silly questions. That is not intended to be
mean, that is simply the way it is.

It sounds like what you are really looking for is a channel that is geared
towards helping the less experienced without giving sarcastic answers, in
which case I stand by the recommendation of #ciscohelp. If in doubt,
#nanog is probably not the place for you.