live chat with other nanog'ers

Kyle Lutze kyle at randomvoids.com
Fri Dec 30 03:51:31 UTC 2005

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
  > I think that a few people here may be under some misconceptions about
> #nanog on efnet. There are actually many very experienced network
> operators who hang out there, including frequent nanog attendees and
> presenters (along with the usual collection of random twits that you'll
> find anywhere in life, but what are you going to do).
>
> However, I believe you will find that most people are there to unwind, not
> to discuss networking or to answer questions about routers. As such, nanog
> list readers who wander in expecting "on topic conversation" or advice
> about configuring their 2600, rather than general chatter about cell
> phones and cars, are probably going to be disappointed by the reception
> they receive. Realistically, most networking issues have already been
> talked about to death, and most people just don't have anything new to
> contribute.

My problem with #nanog on efnet is not that there is off topic chatter
with people unwinding, its when you go in their to ask a question (such
as I had forgotten what AS stood for and asked really fast) and you get
crap answers, for example:

AppleBoy` question on some keyterms used on the list, what is an AS?
xkev      what is an AS?
TestACL   typo for ASS
xkev      ashkie, anal suppressor
xkev      alk;hr
xkev      ..  AS: anal suppressor

and it basically went on like that. So, new chan, perhaps with only
decent people in it.

Kyle