Destructive botnet originating from Japan (fwd)

Barrett G. Lyon blyon at prolexic.com
Sun Dec 25 05:54:31 UTC 2005

Rob,

You made a good point on the duration of the attacks, I neglected to
notice the attack command was set to 99999.  One of our engineers
logged the bot master issuing the attack command:

     man!~man at 127.0.0.1 PRIVMSG $127.0.0.1 :.dos 99999 s|
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx|80

99999 is the number of the seconds and its 86400 seconds is 24 hours
and slightly over that we saw the bots stop attacking.  So they were
not running forever, but they did run on their own for about 27
hours.  It made our NOC guys happy to see Christmas eve with a clean
network.

You are also very correct on the force levels, Linux web servers are
usually more connected than a cable modem user, so the bandwidth
levels are much higher.  In the latest round of attack we have seen,
the attack rates are growing near the 10 Gig range.  The PPS rates
are also getting much higher seeing the fragmented UDP attacks
getting packet sizes much smaller than a 64-byte SYN packet.

What I find shocking is that machines that should be more secured or
at least monitored better appear to run for long periods going
unnoticed.  It seems that some system administrators are just not
paying attention to large outbound bursts from their networks.

-Barrett