Bogon stupidity... warning... operational post.

JP Velders jpv at veldersjes.net
Thu Dec 22 22:26:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

> Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:05:25 -0500
> From: "Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan at verisign.com>
> Subject: RE: Bogon stupidity... warning... operational post.

> [ ... ]
> Use a blacklist, pay the price. I'd like to know how many
> people actually went to their boss and said "It was that guy
> Williams fault even though I control and am responsible for the
> network.....!"

"it was the risk we took when deploying the use of this DNSbl / BGP
feed / Avian carrier service / whatever, because it would save us a
lot of work, time and money compared to when we'd do it all by
ourselves manually, eyeballing all the mailinglists etc.".

I've seen small mishaps with a faulty configured dnsbl (abuseat.org !=
abusat.org). But those dnsbl's keep our mailload down and quite a
large chunk of Spam out (which doesn't need to get spooled,
transferred for Virus and Spam scanning, and then delivered into an
IMAP mailbox on "expensive" RAID5, etc.).

Give me more money and people, and I'll have a team dedicated to
advancing those SpamAssassin rulesets every hour, have ten times as
much storage at hand, and a whole army of people to handle all the
complaints of people drowning in Spam... (I can dream, can I ? ;D)

> -M<

Kind regards,
JP Velders