Bogon stupidity... warning... operational post.

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Thu Dec 22 18:35:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, william(at)elan.net wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Robert Boyle wrote:
>
> > At 12:56 PM 12/22/2005, you wrote:
> > P.S. 204/8 was not the only problem, there were problems with 128/8 and
> >> 133/8 as well so my apologies to people who may have noticed problems
> >> overnight.
> >
> > 199.128.0.0/9 too.
>
> Yes, legacy blocks (with large number of smaller allocations) whenever
> datasize during processing exceeded certain amount. The bad data was
> present at 2 of 4 servers for duration of the night but dns was being

so 50+% of your system was hozed for some long period of time :( bad.

> changes same time as well, so I don't know how much affect there was
> but apparently considerable; this is the most serious problem in months.

'most serious problem in months' ... this has happened in smaller chunks
during the past 'months' ? yikes... is that noted on your site so users of
the 'service' will know what sorts of 'problems' they might be
encountering due to their reliance on this 'service'?