Addressing versus Routing (Was: Deploying IPv6 in a datacenter)

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Wed Dec 21 22:49:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 04:43:58PM -0600, sysadmin at citynetwireless.net wrote:
> > Really? Where are the limits of BGP? Can you show me any numbers?
> > You'd be the first. I'm not aware of any protocol inherent scaling
> > brickwalls like with other protocols where certain timing constraints
> > place limits (or thinking of L1 systems, you remember CSMA/CD?).
>
> Last time I checked, Ethernet is still CSMA/CD.

Correct. And there you have minimum frame spacing requirements (IFG)
and (e.g. with 10Base2 networks) minimum distance between stations
attached to the bus to allow CSMA/CD work correctly.

I'm not aware of any BGP timing stuff that makes it inherently explode
at a certain amount of routes. So what we ACTUALLY talk about is the
fear that control planes (and associated forwarding plane adjacency
lookup systems) won't be able to keep up with the granularity growth in
routing information. Which is a different thing than "we have a BGP
scaling problem".

Best regards,
Daniel