Deploying IPv6 in a datacenter (Was: Awful quiet?)

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Wed Dec 21 16:13:31 UTC 2005

Kevin Day wrote:

> 9) Once we started publishing AAAA records for a few sites, we started
> getting complaints from some users that they couldn't reach the sites.

It is possible that a broken 6to4 relay somewhere was causing problems.
Running your own local 6to4 relay (rfc3068) will improve performance and
reduce the chances of going through a broken one.

FWIW, I have been running some AAAA records for almost a year on some
revenue generating sites without any reachability complaints or
drop in traffic.   I do run a local 6to4 relay though.

> I know
> this is still a hot topic and several proposals are being passed around
> to resolve some of these issues, but it seems like I *lose*
> functionality with IPv6 that I have with IPv4, mostly due to the "don't
> deaggregate your allocation" mantra, and how far the bar was raised to
> get PI space.

It sounds like you are an existing ISP in the ARIN reigon. If so then
you qualify for a /32 allocation.  Let us know if you have any problems
getting one.  For non-ISP's, the policy is still being worked out.  See
the ARIN ppml list for discussion.  As for deaggregation, it is not
recommended because some filter (/48's) and some don't which results
in sub-optimal paths, but it can be done depending on what your
peers will accept.

- Kevin