Awful quiet?

Robert E.Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Wed Dec 21 10:49:35 UTC 2005

Peter Dambier <peter at peter-dambier.de> writes:

> Used to have its IPv6 enabled. Gave me problems with connectivity.
> I dont have IPv6 to the outside so I had to disable the stack.
> Runs a lot smoother now.
> It tooks me week to get the IPv6 stack running in the first place.

You've had quite the run of bad luck.  My IPv6 stuff was working
perfectly and with almost no effort.  Until I lost an ethernet card in
a VXR and snagged one from the IPv6 box as a "spare", heh.  Gotta get
around to fixing that, but in the meantime no IPv6 on the colo LAN is
not exactly an operational deal-killer.

> I tried ISODE 8.0 recently. It still works on all my computers.

Gee, thanks.  I'd managed to not think about ISODE for several years.
:-P

> I could even connect to a friend who also tried ISODE 8.0
> It works through IPv4. What happened to ISO?
>
> I guess that is what will finally happen to IPv6.

I think the likelihood that people will eventually stop caring about
IPv6 like they stopped caring about OSI is fairly slim, even if the
only real problem that V6 addresses is address exhaustion.

IPv6 had more traction five years ago than OSI ever had.

                                        ---Rob