The Qos PipeDream [Was: RE: Two Tiered Internet]

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Dec 16 17:03:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Adaptive jitter buffers are old technology; Skype is hardly the first
> company to use them.  Most phones and softphones have them; it's the
> gateways at the other end that are usually stuck with static ones.

Personally I find the delay of the mobile phones (200ms or so) annoying
enough and with just a static 40ms buffer you end up with 80ms of RTT in
the jitterbuffer alone, adding some access technologies like SHDSL or
alike it's easily over 100ms, compared to less than 20-30ms for a regular
call within a region.

I am not a QoS buff, but it packet prioritization does have it's place,
even if it's only WFQ.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se