The Qos PipeDream [Was: RE: Two Tiered Internet]

Mark Smith random at 72616e646f6d20323030342d30342d31360a.nosense.org
Fri Dec 16 08:57:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 04:16:17 +0000 (GMT)
"Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow at mci.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
> >
> > http://www.secsup.org/files/dmm-queuing.pdf
> >

> oh firstgrad spelling where ahve you gone?
>
> also at: http://www.secsup.org/files/dmm-queueing.pdf
>
> incase you type not paste.

Another interesting one is

"Provisioning IP Backbone Networks to Support Latency Sensitive Traffic"

>From the abstract,

"To support latency sensitive traffic such as voice, network
providers can either use service differentiation to prioritize such traffic
or provision their network with enough bandwidth so that all traffic
meets the most stringent delay requirements. In the context of widearea
Internet backbones, two factors make overprovisioning an attractive
approach. First, the high link speeds and large volumes of traffic make
service differentiation complex and potentially costly to deploy. Second,
given the degree of aggregation and resulting traffic characteristics, the
amount of overprovisioning necessary may not be very large

We then develop a procedure which uses this model to find the amount of
bandwidth needed on each link in the network so that an end-to-end delay
requirement is satisfied. Applying this procedure to the Sprint network,
we find that satisfying end-to-end delay requirements as low as 3 ms
requires only 15% extra bandwidth above the average data rate of the
traffic."

http://www.ieee-infocom.org/2003/papers/10_01.PDF

--

        "Sheep are slow and tasty, and therefore must remain constantly
         alert."