Two Tiered Internet

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 17:16:11 UTC 2005

The whole QoS/2 tier Internet thing I find deeply, deeply suspicious...here
in the mobile space, everyone is getting obsessed by IMS (IP Multimedia
Subsystem) and explaining to each other that they need it so they can offer
"Better QoS, like the subscribers want". What they really mean, I suspect,
is killing third party applications that compete with their own. IMS=I Mash
Skype. And, I suspect, "QoS" for SBC customer broadband will mean "the speed
we advertise so long as you are paying us for VoIP/video/whatever, shite if
you aren't".