Two Tiered Internet

Jeff McAdams jeffm at iglou.com
Thu Dec 15 01:45:09 UTC 2005

Tony Li wrote:
>> I guess you missed all those trenches being dug in Verizon land to
>> install
>> fiber to the home. I guess you missed all the network upgrades in ATT/SBC
>> and Bellsouth land to shorten their copper loop distances.

>> Sounds like they are manufacturing more bandwidth and the zero sum game
>> is getting bigger.

> I believe it when it gets to my street.  So far, the reality is Really
> Slow DSL, with
> service and installation times measured in weeks at costs that aren't
> competitive.  So yes, I missed all of that.

And, at that, only after extracting regulatory concessions at both the
state and federal levels basically giving them their monopoly back to
give them "incentive" to half-*ssed roll out that DSL that is, itself, a
mere fraction of what is technically possible.

Color me unimpressed.
--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."