NAT Configuration for Dual WAN Router

Joe Johnson nanog at sendjoeanemail.com
Thu Dec 15 01:44:01 UTC 2005

I've been trying over and over to figure this one out, but I'm just hitting
the end of my wits.  We have a remote office that can only get 768Kbps DSL,
which they've not totally maxed out.  So management's solution now is to buy
a second DSL line, but they won't let me buy a dual WAN router (in case they
add a 3rd DSL line).

I've found some great articles on how to get the interfaces working with 2
default gateways (I used this:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Networking/Spanning_Multiple_DSL
s) and that is all running fine.  It alternates every few minutes which WAN
port is used when I traceroute yahoo.com (which is fine) and everything is
connecting fine from the router.  However, I can't figure out how to get NAT
running on the server for the 2 WAN ports for clients inside the LAN.  I can
NAT to 1 DSL, but that is useless.

What I am looking for is a tutorial in how to do this or a pointer to
someone who can help.  Anyone know of a resource for this?

Joe Johnson
joe at sendjoeanemail.com