Gothcas of changing the IP Address of an Authoritative DNS Server

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Wed Dec 14 19:21:34 UTC 2005

> From: "Ejay Hire" <ejay.hire at isdn.net>
> To: "'Eric Kagan'" <ekagan at axsne.com>, <nanog at merit.edu>
> Subject: RE: Gothcas of changing the IP Address of an Authoritative DNS Server
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:15:42 -0600
>

> assuming you've got the old box and the new one running
> concurrently, you could run tcpdump on the old box with a
> filter to only catch dns requests to the old ip.  Let it run
> for 24-48 hours and you could see who/what was still
> querying the old ip.

This topic comes up frequently on bind-users at isc.org ...

Might query there but many of these responses have covered much of what is
discussed there.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> -e

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin