Two Tiered Internet

Bob Snyder rsnyder at toontown.erial.nj.us
Wed Dec 14 17:59:15 UTC 2005

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

>Since QoS works by degrading the quality of service
>for some streams of packets in a congestion scenario
>and since congestion scenarios are most common on
>end customer links, it makes sense to let the end
>customers fiddle with the QoS settings in both
>directions on their link.

So where would the payback be for this for the last-mile provider?
Compared to the pain of setting this up and supporting it, what
percentage of customers would actually use something like this? Just
trying to educate users on this would be quite challenging. "Well, sir,
the service allows you to select which of your traffic is important and
should get priority..." "But all my traffic is important!"

It gets more fun when the medium you use to get to the end customer is a
shared medium, with some normal amount of oversubscription.

Bob