Two Tiered Internet

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Wed Dec 14 16:48:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:39:51AM -0500, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

> > On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 04:59:44AM -0500, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
> > >
> > > Since the model is based around cash, there is no perception
> > > except you pay, you get priority.
> > >
> > > Someone has to pay for the Internet. The users aren't.
> >
> > 	hum... then what am i getting for my monthly 4000+
> > 	bills from telcos and ISPs for "data services" and
> > 	"internet transit" services?
>

> You don't get priority. :-)
>
> -M<

	but do i get "the Internet"?  ... your claim is that
	i am not paying for it.  my bills indicate that i -am-
	paying for it.  (regardless of priority... after all, the
	Internet is "best-effort" ... and w/ QoS, i don't get that
	anymore... i get the choice to buy crap instead of best effort...)
	Best effort is the top-tier of the QoS/priority pyramid... as
	sad as that is.

	and as others have cleverly pointed out, what i really
	am buying is full employment for the AP departments of
	telco/isps.  :)

--bill