Gothcas of changing the IP Address of an Authoritative DNS Server

Eric Kagan ekagan at axsne.com
Tue Dec 13 20:45:12 UTC 2005

We need to move our Primary DNS server from legacy IP space provided by our
upstreams to our ARIN Assigned IP space.  I am looking for advice and any
gotchas.  I couldn't find any white papers to this affect or archived
articles or postings.  If someone does have a resource for this or find this
could be valuable, I can certainly gather all the info and document it.
Most of the Registrars I have seen now use the Authoritative DNS Server Host
names for the domain name registrations vs the IP Address. For most of our
customers, we register and host the DNS.  I have confirmed almost all the
customers have either Network Solutions, Tucows, Go Daddy and Register.com.

Can I simply change the IP address of our DNS server and update the DNS Host
Record with our registrar with the new IP and any A / NS records we have ?
As long as other customers domains have our DNS Server FQDN as the Host,
they should not need to make any changes, correct ?   I would love to think
its that simple, but there is always a gotcha.  Does anyone know of any main
registries using just the IP Address where the customer might need to go in
and make those changes for each and every domain ?  Any input, advice or
ideas is appreciated.

Thanks
Eric