SMTP store and forward requires DSN for integrity

Matt Sergeant msergeant at messagelabs.com
Mon Dec 12 21:21:32 UTC 2005

On 12 Dec 2005, at 15:50, John Levine wrote:

>> And BATV will never be widely deployed because it breaks every single
>> system out there that keys off the return path. And there are a lot
>> of these systems.
>
> I keep hearing that, but other than a few ezmlm lists and the
> occasional tired fax gateway, I never run into them.  Where are they?

I can't enumerate them all for you - I don't know them all. That's the
point though - you can't know all the systems you may be breaking by
changing the way your MAIL FROM works.

Here's a few that I've told you about before:

Whitelist/Blacklist entries
Quarantine systems
Anything based on .qmail files
Some auto-forwarders
Auto-responders

Now you can potentially whitelist around these issues (to some extent),
but while that works for geek mail systems it doesn't scale up very
well. I know you (personally) whitelist around some problem systems in
your implementation but can you expect Grandma to do that?

Matt.