SMTP store and forward requires DSN for integrity (was Re:Clueless anti-virus )

Todd Vierling tv at duh.org
Fri Dec 9 16:16:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Geo. wrote:

> If everyone would just standardize on at least the first part of every virus
> notification being the same thing, say:
>
> XXX  VIRUS NOTIFICATION: blah blah blah
>
> where XXX is some error number, we could all easily control virus
> notifications at the receiving end, allowing or blocking, as the recipients
> choice.

Have you not even read the rest of the prior thread?

It doesn't matter what the notifications look like.  There is no reason that
my SMTP server should be subject to more than TEN THOUSAND of these damned
things every day, which I must receive all the way through the DATA phase in
order to block.  That's the problem:  just like other forms of UBE,
virus-worm warnings (to forged addresses) *do not scale*.

I don't care what kind of duck the UBE looks like.  Content is irrelevant.
It still looks, walks, and quacks like a UBE duck.