Clueless anti-virus products/vendors (was Re: Sober)

Todd Vierling tv at duh.org
Wed Dec 7 19:59:39 UTC 2005

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Douglas Otis wrote:

> > Not my problem.  I don't need or want, and should not be hammered with,
> > virus "warnings" sent to forged addresses -- ever.  They are unsolicited (I
> > didn't request it, and definitely don't want it), bulk (automated upon
> > receipt of viruses by the offending server), e-mail... thus UBE.
>
> I know of no cases where a malware related DSN would be generated by our
> products,

That's good.  Unfortunately it is not the case for most commercial
anti-malware products.

> nevertheless, DSNs are not Unsolicited Bulk Email.

I don't see how this is relevant to my paragraph above.  I was not equating
DSNs to UBE -- I specifically mentioned virus "warnings".  Whether those
warnings are look like DSNs, smell like DSNs, or taste like DSNs is wholly
irrelevant; they are still UBE if sent to forged virus sender addresses.