Clueless anti-virus products/vendors (was Re: Sober)

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Wed Dec 7 13:54:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Douglas Otis wrote:

> > Not my problem.  I don't need or want, and should not be hammered
> > with, virus "warnings" sent to forged addresses -- ever.  They are
> > unsolicited (I didn't request it, and definitely don't want it),
> > bulk (automated upon receipt of viruses by the offending server), e-
> > mail... thus UBE.
>
> I know of no cases where a malware related DSN would be generated by
> our products, nevertheless, DSNs are not Unsolicited Bulk Email.

Riiiight.

Virus notifications aren't DSNs.

99% of the time, they're ads for the publisher of whatever anti-virus
filter is being used on the recipient's side.

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek   888-480-4638   PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Company website: http://JustThe.net/