QoS for ADSL customers

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Tue Dec 6 16:49:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Joe Shen wrote:

> Could IPtables  control traffic with inspecting layer7
> information?

Not layer 7. IPtables works on L3 & L4 (and another similar system
for linux called ebtables provides filtering at L2) but it can
be used for setting up qos depending on where from (and to) the
traffic is going and what port is being used.

For layer7 filtering on linux you need protocol proxies, and you
can use iptables to redirect all http traffic from subnet to squid
(although its not designed to be a filter, it can be used to
implement L7 filtering for http, but I'm not sure it can be used
for prioritization though).