trollage (Re: Akamai server reliability)

Edward B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Mon Dec 5 01:18:32 UTC 2005

CO> Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:57:58 -0600 (CST)
CO> From: Chris Owen

CO> However, I do think Akamai would be better off getting their issues with
CO> their replacement boxes straightened out.  I agree that we get value for
CO> having the boxes on our network (and so do they lets not forget).

*shrug*

It's not that expensive to ship boxen back and forth, and I'd hazard a
guess they have people who troubleshoot the dead en masse.  If a dead
box costs $50, the question becomes how much more would prolonging box
death cost?

CO> However, it is a bit frustrating to replace the same box 3 times in less

Heh.  Never had _that_ bad, personally.

CO> than a month.  Hauling a box down to the colo is no big deal but when the

Depends.  In Kansas, no.  In $big_metro_area during rush hour... well,
I've learned why people state "distance" in terms of hours. :-)

CO> box you are taking down there has a dead CPU fan and two dead case fans
CO> it's hard not to think you might be wasting your time.

True.  So if the CPU fan is dead, just say the box is plugged in; act
surprised when doesn't ping. ;-)

CO> It isn't just that they are wasting my time.  They are also wasting their
CO> own time.  It's the overall lack efficiency that bothers me ;-]

There are enough clue-challenged networks that I wouldn't want arbitrary
people playing around with my gear.  Shipping can be more efficient.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.