Confidentiality disclaimers, was: GoDaddy DDoS

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Dec 1 09:47:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Mark Smith wrote:

[Dire threats regarding confidentiality, etc. snipped.]

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:18:52 -0700
> "Sam Crooks" <scrooks at ebocom.net> wrote:
>
> This confidentiality notice almost DoS'd my MUA !

One would think that those posting here would have the clue to realize
that they are sending mail to a widely read and archived mailing list,
making any such confidentiality warning rather ludicrous.

One would also hope that most posters here would also have the horsepower
within their organization to point out the ridiculousness to whoever
implemented such cruft or at least sufficient privileges on the company
MTA to strip it from their own postings.

This silliness started with fax cover pages before it morphed to
email, but it seems to have mostly disappeared from the fax world.

Has the validity of such language ever been upheld in court?

NOTICE:  This communication may contain confidential and/or privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you
have received this communication in error, you are obligated to kill
yourself and anyone else who may have read it, not necessarily in that
order.  So there.  My disclaimer is scarier than yours.  Nyaah.  You
started this silly nonsense.  Knock it off and I will too, ok?  It is a
tragic waste of perfectly good CPU cycles, storage, and bandwidth.
Nobody reads it anyway.  You're not actually reading this, are you?
I didn't think so.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/