Replacing PSTN with VoIP wise? Was Re: Phone networks struggle in Hurricane Katrina's wake

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Wed Aug 31 19:19:23 UTC 2005

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> There are two types of VoIP: voice over a private, tightly controlled
> IP network, and voice over the public internet. Now obviously the
> latter is a risky proposition, as it imports all the limitations of  the
> internet into the voice service.

I'm not so sure; someone cuts an ISDN-30 into our building and the sky
falls down.  Someone cuts some fibre carrying IP and life (and
communications) carry on ..

Perhaps you've made a fair and good comment on the marurity of most
off-the-shelf voip products or implementations.  But the key, in my
mind, is that VoIP across the internet, when done well, imports all of
the opportunities of internet routing into voice service.

-a