Bellsouth.net Outage?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Aug 30 15:23:19 UTC 2005

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Alan Spicer wrote:

> Does anyone know anything about supposed bellsouth.net outages in Southeast
> Florida and what it affects? I can't bring up the local link on PPPoE and
> they're not wanting to test or anything because of outages. I'm sending PADI
> active discovery initiates and getting no response. Usually when this
> happens, about yearly, they just come out and reset or replace a card in a
> Mini-Ram/Dslam right down the street.

If by Southeast FL, you mean the Miami area, Bell does have many remote
terminal outages.  They seem to have gotten dial tone restored in areas
where DSL has not and apparently won't be for some time.

If you're an ISP with DSL customers on BellSouth DSLAM provided DSL, you
should be able to check on this by calling the DSG.

Incidentally, I found yesterday that the DSG's toll free number is not
reachable from Gainesville, FL.  Initially, I thought it might be a
problem with the PRI our office phone system uses, but I found my home
phone could not get through either...(2 rings, then all circuits busy).
My Cingular wireless phone (with a Gainesville local number) can get
through, and utilizing our VOIP network, if I force the call to go out
through a PRI in a city other than Gainesville, it also goes through.