Completely off-topic: Sprint Nextel's new logo ....

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Fri Aug 26 16:36:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Jeff Cole wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 11:32:44AM -0400, Chris Woodfield wrote:
>> I did see an article a few days ago (can't find the url now) claiming that
>> Sprint is planning on focusing purely on wireless and spinning off their
>> "traditional" telco/internet operations.i
>
> Oh yeah. That's been part of the plan ever since the merger was
> announced. No surprises there. Bets that it will be bought up by VZ or
> SBC?

So let me guess - we'll have 3 wireless companies (Cingular, Verizon
Wireless, Sprint) and 3 telco companies (SBC, Verizon, XYZ). Since
Cingular is associated with (and part-owned by) SBC and Verizon Wireless
with you can guess who yourself, that leaves the question of what will be
the counterpart in the telco that is associated with Sprint Wireless.

As you can see from above, I don't think that Sprint Telco will be bought
by either Verizon or SBC - to me it seems more likely that we'll see it
merged together with one (or more) of the other remaining large ILEC/CLEC
telcos (probably XO or Qwest or maybe it'd end up being XO+Qwest+Sprint
that will make up XYZ).

But anyway - age of competition and deregulation and price-wars for
customers in US seem soon to be coming to its end...

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net