ISP's In Uproar Over Verizon-MCI Merger

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Aug 25 07:49:05 UTC 2005

On 25-aug-2005, at 3:31, Jared Mauch wrote:

>     I once spoke to a construction manager at comcast for their
> network buildouts.  With my local township, they need to have 20 homes
> per linear mile along the route to justify a build.

Turns out that the US has a cable penetration of some 67%. (http://
www.ncta.com/Docs/PageContent.cfm?pageID=86) That's pretty high, if
you consider that coax can't carry a signal very far.

But I still attribute the non-stellar uptake of broadband to lack of
DSL in the US. A significant portion of that 33% that doesn't have
cable (and can't get it) should be within range for ADSL. On the
other hand you still see above-ground phone lines in US cities, maybe
that's not so good for DSL...

And in the future we'll see more wireless broadband.