ISP's In Uproar Over Verizon-MCI Merger

Richard Z rzheng at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 21:24:29 UTC 2005

I think that big carriers have successfully convinced regulators that
the telecom deregulation in late nineties was bad for the industry. It
certainly destroyed quite a few big companies, e.g. MCI and AT&T. Also
it dragged down a few big companies, e.g. Verizon has $40B debt. In
the meantime, US is trailing other industrial countries in broadband
penetration because no carrier is interested in investing and building
an infrastructure to be shared by their competitors. The only way they
argue to get the industry out is to have a few large companies with
little competition.

True or not, FCC is listening to them.