4-Byte AS Number soon to come?

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Tue Aug 23 11:02:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 12:53:45PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> On 23-aug-2005, at 11:53, Paul Jakma wrote:
>
> >The IDR draft is awaiting implementation report.
>
> If this is true, it's very distressing. Drafts are deleted after
> about six months. That means that any implementations will be based
> on a no longer existing specification. That's wrong in so many ways.

	... working code...
	based on the draft that is there, there are serious implementation
	problems, e.g. the draft needs clarification.  one does not expect
	prototype implementations based on drafts to be production level
	code...  well this one does not anyway.  implement away.

> >Is it common or uncommon to fire up 'ethereal' or 'tcpdump' to
> >debug a BGP problem?
>
> I think I only felt the need to do this a handful of times over the
> last decade, but it's generally difficult to position tcpdump such
> that it will intercept the eBGP traffic.
>
> (It's easier if tcpdump is implemented on your router, of course.)

	i did during the BGP3-BGP4 transition, and a couple of times
	in the "add-thousands-of-knobs" to BGP4...  I expect this transtion
	will be similar.

--bill