KVM over IP suggestions?

Matthew Black black at csulb.edu
Mon Aug 22 15:32:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:15:23 -0400
  "Drew Weaver" <drew.weaver at thenap.com> wrote:
>            Howdy, I'm looking for a way to give our remote users access
> to their servers, perhaps a KVM-IP solution. What we need is support for
> multiple users (more than 2), with access control that limits what users
> can connect to what ports on the KVM switch, and would allow you BIOS
> level access and os-installation type control over the server, would
> also be nice if it worked with windows and linux/unix based systems.
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> -Drew

We have a non-IP switch from Raritan and saw presentations on their
IP KVM products. Seemed pretty impressive. One problem you may want
to focus on is screen resolution since the video output must be
converted to IP packets with a lower refresh rate. We're planning
to buy a few of these switches for remote monitoring.

matthew black
california state university, long beach