Semi-on-topic: Light that travels faster than the speed of light?

David Hagel david.hagel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 15:05:08 UTC 2005

I asked about this article to someone who works on optical properties
of materials. Here's what he says (I don't pretend to understand
everything though):

" This is called superluminal propagation, and many groups have shown
it in different media; this one is in fiber.  However, this does not
violate anything apparently because it is only the leading edge of a
pulse, and information still cannot go faster than c.

 I have been trying to understand what Einstein actually said.
Apparently he said that "information" cannot be transmitted faster
than c.  Now light has a phase velocity which exceeds c all the time.
The textbooks then say that it is the group velocity that cannot
exceed c.  But I found out while writing my book that even that is
possible near resonances.  Then I saw somewhere that "energy velocity"
cannot exceed c.  Well, I tried deriving that in a general medium and
cannot see why it is fundamentally impossible.  I asked around, and
one of my colleagues says that it is far more subtle than even
Einstein may have realized..it is the leading edge of a pulse (or
something like that) that can exceed c, but the whole pulse itself
cannot.  I really don't understand that part, and haven't found any
text describing it.  (Need to find one)."