Rip again!

Scott Morris swm at emanon.com
Sun Aug 21 16:20:50 UTC 2005

How about the source IP?

RIP v1 is sent to 255.255.255.255 broadcast.  RIPv2 is sent to 224.0.0.9
multicast.  Both are local-link only, so won't go THROUGH a router.  The
sending source IP will tell you where they came from.

If you're using VLANs (trunks), there won't be any issues.  If you're using
secondary addresses, this will depend on whose devices you use.   In the
Cisco world, packets will always be sourced from the primary IP address on
an interface.  And if the receiving router doesn't have a subnet matching
the sender, packets/updates are ignored.  (Again, Cisco world you can use
"no validate-update-source" to override this check)

But that gives you a tracking method on packets.

Scott