New N.Y. Law Targets Hidden Net LD Tolls

John R Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Aug 20 17:43:37 UTC 2005

> As I remember Tennessee's rules, the PSC requirement was that every
> adjacent county was to be considered local.
>
> Area codes could usually cover multiple counties, but you usually know
> what city your calling destination is in. With ISP dial-in numbers, you
> might not, but that's pretty much the exception.

Exchange boundaries rarely match municipal boundaries, and there are a
whole bunch of arcane special cases like the one in Vermont that a call to
your town hall must be local.  That's why it would be nice to be able to
query the billing database that really knows.

Regards,
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Mayor