New N.Y. Law Targets Hidden Net LD Tolls

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Fri Aug 19 21:35:58 UTC 2005

On 8/19/2005 12:41 PM, John Levine wrote:

> I agree that life would be simpler if there were some straightforward
> way to ask telcos whether a call from a->b was local or toll.

As I remember Tennessee's rules, the PSC requirement was that every
adjacent county was to be considered local.

Area codes could usually cover multiple counties, but you usually know
what city your calling destination is in. With ISP dial-in numbers, you
might not, but that's pretty much the exception.