centrist...

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Fri Aug 19 20:50:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 01:59:46PM -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Thus spake "John Levine" <johnl at iecc.com>
> >>Face it, 7D is dead; and even if overlays had not arrived, cell
> >>phones would have killed it. Once you learn to think 10D, it's
> >>trivial.
> >
> >Oh, you ignorant rednecks.*  Even my cell phone has 7D dialing and
> >it'll be a century before overlays arrive where I live.
>
> Great.  Store 7D numbers in your phone's directory and drive a few hours in
> any direction; see if they still work.  _That_ is why mobile phones are
> killing off 7D, not because of dialing patterns or overlays.

	humm.... there are 7d #'s in my cell and some 3d #'s also.
	and some 14d and lots of 10d numbers.  regardless, when i
	drive a few hours -WEST- (that would be 140-200 mile off the
	LA coast...), none of them work... unless i carry
	a micro/pico cell and sat uplink w/ me... (yes the car needs
	a hull and a powerplant from a Cigarette).  GSM is such a PITA.
	And only a few locations I am aware of (Parts of the Gulf of Mexico)
	have any cell coverage more than a mile or two offshore w/o
	adjunct support (see above)

--bill