New N.Y. Law Targets Hidden Net LD Tolls

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Aug 19 20:20:38 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 03:15:11PM -0400, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > Mine doesn't -- AT&T Wireless and Cingular GSM phones have 10D or 11D
> > only, at least around here.
>
> Leave it up to Cingular to be stupid. :P I've been a customer of Alltel,
> Northcoast PCS, Sprint PCS and now T-Mobile, and the old GTE Wireless
> dating back to '93. On none of those carriers have I ever been forced to
> dial 10D if I wasn't roaming, and if I was dialing a number in the same
> area code my cellphone number was in.
>
> IOW, I'm pretty sure they're the only company doing that, though ICBW.

I hang out in telecom circles, and I have no datapoints suggesting that
cellular carriers are requiring or moving to requiring 10D for local
calling, though Stan Cline (roamer1) would be the guy to ask.

This is, of course, OT of the OT thread about ISP dialing.

I would observe that there's a fairly obvious mnemonic to 7D (the same
area code as my own number), but Steve's already gonna yell at me for
posting on this thread, so...

Cheers,
-- jra
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates   |  Best Practices Wiki |          |            '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA    http://bestpractices.wikicities.com    +1 727 647 1274

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me