New N.Y. Law Targets Hidden Net LD Tolls

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Aug 19 18:59:46 UTC 2005

Thus spake "John Levine" <johnl at iecc.com>
>> Face it, 7D is dead; and even if overlays had not arrived, cell
>> phones would have killed it. Once you learn to think 10D, it's
>> trivial.
>
> Oh, you ignorant rednecks.*  Even my cell phone has 7D dialing and
> it'll be a century before overlays arrive where I live.

Great.  Store 7D numbers in your phone's directory and drive a few hours in
any direction; see if they still work.  _That_ is why mobile phones are
killing off 7D, not because of dialing patterns or overlays.

> I really appreciate not having the insane Texas plan where you have
> to memorize every single local prefix to be able to make a fripping
> phone call.

When you have seven nearby area codes (like I do), and parts of each of them
can be local or toll, there's no hope of memorizing prefixes.  You guess
based on the distance, and you either get through or a recording tells you
that you guessed wrong.  If you thought a number was local and it turns out
to be toll, that may make you think twice about whether you need to find a
closer number or perhaps not talk as long.

I find it to be nuts that some places have 7D toll calls and 11D local
calls; how can you have any clue what (if anything) you're paying without
calling the operator?

Back before CLECs, SWB's phone books had a map with the prefixes assigned to
each exchange and rules to determine if a call was local or toll.  Now, with
ten times as many prefixes per exchange (and several possible area codes for
each) and new prefixes being added every week, that's simply not practical
anymore.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov