New N.Y. Law Targets Hidden Net LD Tolls

Andre Oppermann nanog-list at nrg4u.com
Fri Aug 19 17:29:44 UTC 2005

John Levine wrote:
>>Face it, 7D is dead; and even if overlays had not arrived, cell
>>phones would have killed it. Once you learn to think 10D, it's
>>trivial.
>
> Oh, you ignorant rednecks.*  Even my cell phone has 7D dialing and
> it'll be a century before overlays arrive where I live.
>
> The reason that it makes sense for an ISP to warn its customers about
> surprise toll calls is that toll rates have gotten so low that for the
> most part, we don't worry about them.  Due to the peculiar
> telegeography in my area, a 7D call within my area code could be
> local, intra-LATA toll, or inter-LATA toll.  But the most expensive of
> those is 8 cents/min so for voice calls, I don't care, and I really

Duh.  I pay less for an international trans-atlantic call for premium
voice minutes in retail (US$0.04/minute).  Wholesale I get the same
minute for less than 2 cents (US$).  A 64kbit/s transparent ISDN call
on the same path costs 3 cents (US$).  And I'm in Switzerland.  So it
seems to be cheaper for me to call you than it is for you to call someone
in the next LATA.

--
Andre