Tags

Scott Morris swm at emanon.com
Fri Aug 19 12:01:58 UTC 2005

Tags are simply a way to mark the routes.  Typically people will do it if
they have multiple redistribution points (or if someone tells them to set a
tag).

Depending on the complexity of the network, tags are used for many different
reasons, but those are all "internal" reasons to a company unless you have a
relationship and reason to exchange RIP with your customer (MPLS VPN?).

If you are seeing this on VRF customers, would you have any reason to be
concerned about it?  The VRF should keep things separate from the rest of
your network.  If you aren't running a VRF, why do you have RIP enabled on
the edge interface to see these things anyway? (e.g. why do you care?)

Scott