Blocking certain terrorism/porn sites and DNS

J. Oquendo sil at politrix.org
Thu Aug 18 18:36:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Apparently, you did....  Of course, repeated posting here will vastly
> improve your opportunity to examine binaries handily delivered directly
> to your own email box.  ;-)

"handily delivered directly to your own email box." I take note of "your
own email box." So again I ask, how do you propose dealing with mail that
was "handily delivered" to your clients' email boxes. Or would you just be
assuming "if test -f LOOKS_LIKE_MY_EMAIL then filter_that".

Either way you want to cut your comment it would take a bit of snooping to
parse out traffic not destined to your own email box(es). So what do you
tell your customer "Oh by the way we had to snoop in on your sessions to
stop some new and improved MS uberworm." If so, when do you do it,
when your network is crawling, after the fact... What if you're off by one
and accidentally filter out say a contract worth a lot. Again, if I'm
missing something by all means e-smack me.

J. Oquendo
GPG Key ID 0x97B43D89
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x97B43D89

To conquer the enemy without resorting to war is the most
desirable.  The highest form of generalship is to conquer
the enemy by strategy." - Sun Tzu