zotob - blocking tcp/445

My Name routerg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 18:13:36 UTC 2005

On 8/18/05, Roger Marquis <marquis at roble.com> wrote:

> Andy Johnson wrote:
> > I think the point of many on this list is, they are a transit
> > provider, not a security provider. They should not need to filter
> > your traffic, that should be up to the end user/edge network to
> > decide for themselves.
>
> How is this different from a transit provider allowing their network
> to be used for spam?  Seems the same hands-off argument was made wrt
> spam a decade ago but has since proved unsustainable.

This is where the abuse teams at the service providers need to have
management approved thresholds for different types of abuse and be
empowered to take action.

If your customer is caught port scanning (hacking, worm propogation,
etc) twice within a two day time frame or something, the abuse team
should be able to null route/filter the ports without further warning.
 If they are spamming and after repeat notifications they do not stop,
have an escalation process that goes from suspension to termination of
service.  There are plenty of automated complaint scripts out there
for all types of abuse, so you don't have to look at everything
yourself.