zotob - blocking tcp/445

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Thu Aug 18 18:02:45 UTC 2005

Roger Marquis wrote:

> Andy Johnson wrote:
>
>> I think the point of many on this list is, they are a transit
>> provider, not a security provider. They should not need to filter
>> your traffic, that should be up to the end user/edge network to
>> decide for themselves.
>

> How is this different from a transit provider allowing their network
> to be used for spam?  Seems the same hands-off argument was made wrt
> spam a decade ago but has since proved unsustainable.
>
> Our particular problem is with an ISP in Wisconsin, NETNET-WAN.  We
> get tens of thousands of scans to netbios ports every day from their
> /19.  This is several orders of magnitude more netbios than we see
>
>> from the rest of the net combined.  It's eating nontrivial bandwidth
>
> and cpu that we pay real money for.  They've had our logs for months
> but seem incapable of doing anything about their infected customers.
> The suits recommend documenting time and bandwidth costs and sending
> a bill with a cease and desist request.
>
> My question is not what can we do about bots, we already filter
> these worst case networks, but what can we do to make it worthwhile
> for bot-providers like NETNET to police their own networks without
> involving lawyers?

Route them through a modem using 4800 Baud. They will very soon look
what is eating their bandwidth and hopefully find those netbios packets.

Blocking port 445 will prevent me from using "ssh -p 455" to reach my
clients. Using 4800 baud will slow me down but it will not stop me working.

Does anyone really use port 22 for ssh? I cannot use it because of all
those wordbook attacks. Nobody cares to stop those.

Regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier

--
Peter and Karin Dambier