Blocking certain terrorism/porn sites and DNS

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Aug 18 15:18:40 UTC 2005

 you seem to have a couple of ideas co-mingled.
	) whois == dns  ...  there is zero technical requirement for
	  whois to exist.  removing or blocking entries in your whois
	  of choice is trivial and painless.
	) URLs map to IP addresses.  ...  you can or your ISP can
	  filter based on IP address pretty easily.  You only task here
	  is to keep up with the DNS changes that move the URL to new
	  IP space.
	) there is NO centralized system here.  there are hundreds of
	  whois systems in place and the DNS is structured so that
	  responsibility is delegated... there would have to be worldwide
	  agreement on not only what should be filtered but how.  And
	  that (worldwide agreement) is going to be hard to bring to pass.
	  So just because the VSGN whois does not have the entry, does
	  not mean that the IN whois does not have it either.  Or because
	  VSNL blocks IP packets to certain prefixes does not mean they are
	  not routed elsewhere in the Internet.
 --bill