New N.Y. Law Targets Hidden Net LD Tolls

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Thu Aug 18 15:00:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Brian Johnson wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but don't most phone companies require 10 digit dialing
> for long-distance.

So I signed up for a trial of a spiffy service from RingCentral, who
insist that they have numbers local to Victorville/Apple Valley,
California, USA.

They assigned me 760-301-<mumble>.

301 is Ridgecrest, an hour north of Victorville on US 395, and a toll
call.

But Verizon still allows 7D dialing for toll calls in this part of the
country.

(RingCentral later told me "we just allow you to pick a city to determine
which area code your number will be in" - no, morons, you advertise local
numbers in Victorville, and you should just allow people to pick an area
code without listing cities in that area code.)

And there are plenty of spots around the US where 10D dialing is required
even for local, non-toll calls.

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek   888-480-4638   PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Company website: http://JustThe.net/