zotob - blocking tcp/445

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Wed Aug 17 15:49:17 UTC 2005

At 11:18 AM 8/17/2005, William Warren wrote:

>I may be off base here.  Can't an ips look at the traffic; say on
>443 and figure out whether the traffic is malicious or not?

Well, your particular example is perhaps not the best one. 443 is
SSL, and looking within the encrypted traffic is not something an IPS
running on a separate box is going to be good at. Anything that's not
encrypted, sure.

The IPS could notice an excessive connect rate (TCP) or packet rate
(any protocol) and attempt to do something in terms of attack
mitigation, even for encrypted sessions.

>   If so then let it filter it.  I know IPS's aren't perfect, but, i
> would prefer this router be taken, if available and sensible
> including network outage or DDOS, than a hard block.  A quick block
> to mitigate and then an IPS rule installed AFTER through
> investigation of the traffic could lessen the load and maybe
> eliminate the malicious traffic without having to use a hard
> block.  I know most here prefer not to..i am not saying this is a
> let's block is all thread, just trying to throw out something i do
> not see being discussed.

One of the dangers is more and more stuff is being shoved over a
limited set of ports. There are VPNs being built over SSL and HTTP to
help bypass firewall rule restrictions. At some point we end up with
another protocol demux layer, and a non-standard one at that if we
push more and more restrictive filters out there. This in the long
run is going to cause many problems.

Also note that the IPS would likely be at the customer end of a
circuit, meaning a flood attack might still fill the pipe, and your
ISP isn't going to be able to alleviate that.